I.M. Systems Group, Inc. (IMSG) is seeking candidates to support the Environmental Modeling Center (EMC) of the National Centers for Environmental Prediction (NCEP) to work on the Global Forecast Dropout Prediction Tool (GFDPT) project. The candidate will work with scientists in EMC’s data assimilation (DA) team and collaboration partners to enhance the current monitoring capabilities of the GFDPT system, including the use of the Proactive Quality Control (PQC) approach within the Global Data Assimilation System (GDAS). Software applications will be used to identify forecasts with noticeably degraded forecast skill from the Global Forecast System (GFS), analyze these so-called dropout cases, track the location(s) of the forecast error(s), and identify possible source(s) associated with conventional and/or satellite radiance data.
• Develop and test improved GFDPT scientific algorithms and applications, including the PQC system.
• Run, test, and debug operational weather forecast system codes on NOAA High Performance Computing (HPC) systems.
• Conduct retrospective observation system experiments of GFS dropout cases and investigate quality control capabilities within the GDAS.
Education and Experience
• M.S. or Ph.D. in Atmospheric Science, Oceanography, or other Geophysical Sciences, Engineering, Computer Sciences, or Mathematics.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• At least two years of experience running complex jobs, working with large environmental data sets and numerical model output on HPC supercomputers and/or workstations in a FORTRAN/UNIX environment, and using advanced statistical and display tools.
• Proficiency in scientific numerical programming languages such as FORTRAN or Python, as well as one or more shell scripting languages.
• Experience using software configuration management tools in an operational software team environment (such as Subversion, Git, PVCS, etc.)
• Experience working in a team environment and possessing good written and oral communication skills.
• Must be able to obtain and maintain a national agency check and background investigation after hire (must be a permanent resident status or US citizen).
Please apply directly to our career portal or website: www.imsg.com or https://careers-imsg.icims.com
(NOA1805 Support Scientist-Global Forecast Prediction Dropout Tool)
Include your resume, three references with contact information and a cover letter explaining how your qualifications meet the requirements of the position. Please indicate your timeline of availability and preferred salary level for consideration.
IMSG offers an outstanding benefits package including company paid medical benefits and three weeks paid time off.
IMSG is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Veteran friendly.
Click here to apply
Please mention that you saw the job on Green Jobs Free